Coconut Lovers be warned, this rice krispy treat is going to star in your food daydreams for years to come. I adore coconut and I also LOVE a great rice krispy treat, so this combination is pretty much my idea of heaven.
While I’m admittedly a sucker for an amazing rice krispy treat, not just any rice krispy treat will do. If it’s too hard and it scratches the roof of your mouth, that’s just wrong. Falling apart in your hands? That is not cool. It needs to be just firm and sticky enough to hold together, yet soft and chewy and absolutely loaded with marshmallows. If I’m indulging in a rice krispy treat, it had best be worth the indulgence.
COOK’S NOTE: There are a couple of things to keep in mind in order to achieve the perfect rice krispy treats. Don’t press too hard when you are spreading them into the pan. Press as lightly as you can in order to spread them out. If you press them down too much, you’ll wind up with a very firm rice krispy treat, instead of perfectly stretchy slightly sticky treats.
Second, don’t skimp on the marshmallows. I love the additional gooey-ness the extra marshmallows provide. It seems like a mountain of marshmallows initially, but I’m promising you now that these are amazing rice krispy treats!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows, about 14 ounces
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups marshmallows, (For additional add in, do not melt these with the butter.)
- 1½ cups sweetened shredded coconut, plus an additional ¼ cup for topping
- Line a large baking sheet or a 9×13 pan with parchment paper and set aside. (Feel free to use foil, if you’d prefer, just don’t forget to grease the foil very well with butter to prevent sticking!) Melt the butter in a large pot, over medium heat. Add 8 cups marshmallows and stir until they melt.
- Remove from the heat, add cereal and stir until combined. Stir in the additional marshmallows and coconut. Scoop the sticky cereal mixture onto the lined pan. Use a lightly buttered spatula or spoon to gently press the mixture across the pan, being careful not to press too firmly.
You can find complete recipes of this Coconut Lover’s Rice Krispy Treats in barefeetkitchen