I didn’t realize it until I sat down to write this post, but these Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas are a milestone recipe in my life. They are based off of my Grammy’s legendary sour cream chicken enchiladas, which I devoured growing up (and still do). The recipe then followed me across the ocean to France, where I cooked it for my host parents. Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas are one of the first meals I ever made for Ben, they remain a regular on our recipe rotation, and best of all: this is the first recipe I ever posted on my blog.
When I hit publish on that first recipe post, titled “Healthy Chicken Enchiladas,” I expected my Grammy would see it and get a kick out of my more wholesome version of her sour cream chicken enchiladas. Little did I suspect that they would turn out to be the recipe that would inspire me to publish another, then another. A few days after I posted it (along with a horrific photo taken with my flip phone—the horror), my high school pal Kathryn emailed to tell that she’d made my healthy chicken enchiladas and loved them. I was flabbergasted. Apparently if you post recipes online, people will actually cook them. Who knew?
From that point on, I fell in love with sharing my recipes online. To date, Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas are one of nearly 400 recipes I’ve posted here, but no matter how many new recipes I try, this pan of creamy, Mexican-inspired goodness will never lose its place in my heart.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (see cooking directions below if needed)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, cored and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups reduced fat shredded Monetary jack or Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, drained
- 8 (7-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 (15-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- For serving: diced fresh tomato, fresh cilantro, diced avocado, diced red onion, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with baking spray and set aside.
- Cook and shred chicken, following these easy steps.
- To make the enchiladas: Heat oil in a large skillet or saute pan on medium heat. Once oil the is warm, add the peppers and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften and the onions become translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
You can find complete recipes of this Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas in wellplated.com