OH my word, friends. This Healthy Vegan Carrot Carrot Cake Loaf is one to remember! This might just be my new favorite quick bread. Moist, soft and flavorful vegan carrot cake topped off with a thick layer of Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.
Let’s just say this Vegan Carrot Cake did not stand a chance around here… it was gone in under 2 days. Yum!
It’s funny how food is SO cultural. There’s a going joke in Belgium about a person walking into a bakery asking for carrot cake and the baker walking out with some carrot sticks and a cake. The people who I’ve mentioned carrot cake to here (and don’t get me started on Zucchini Bread LOL) look at me like I might have a third eye. ?
And I have to admit, the idea of putting vegetables into a cake does seem kinda strange if you haven’t grown up on eating veggie breads like chocolate zucchini bread, pumpkin bread and carrot cake. Did you grow up on carrot cake or does the whole idea of carrots in a cake seem kinda odd to you!?
Why would you grate carrots into a cake?! And then stick a thick layer of cream cheese icing on top?!
Because the results are oh soooo amazing! ? I mean, look at that Soft Vegan Carrot Cake and thick layer of Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing. Nom nom nom.
Carrots do something magical to cakes. They are super saweeeeeet and add in a lot of moisture to quick breads. Which is why it’s easy to make an Oil-Free Vegan Carrot Cake like this one that tastes totally moist, soft and delicious.
- 2 cups spelt flour*
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seed + 6 tbsp water)
- 6 tbsp orange juice*
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup applesauce*
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark brown cane sugar (or dark brown sugar)*
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1½ cups finely grated carrots
Vegan Cream Cheese Icing
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes or overnight
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ – 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180. Prepare a loaf pan with coconut oil or non-stick cooking spray. If making the icing, boil water and soak cashews while preparing the cake.
- In a large size bowl, add flax seed and water and leave to thicken up while preparing the dry ingredients.
- In a medium sized bowl, add and mix dry ingredients together until evenly dispersed.
- When the flax has reached an egg-like consistency add the rest of the Wet Ingredients (Orange Juice through to Finely Grated Carrots). Whisk together until well combined. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined making sure not to over-mix the batter.
You can find complete recipes of this Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing in cearaskitchen.com