There’s nothing worse than sitting down after a long day to a wonderful meal you just cooked, only to realize that your work isn’t done yet. DISHES.
Honestly, one of least favorite tasks in the world. Luckily I have this great guy named Matt who lets me cook up a storm and then cleans up after me. I think we all need a Matt.
But even Matt gets tired and doesn’t feel like cleaning up my tornado of dinner dishes every night. He’ll begrudgingly wash while complaining under his breath that I’m a messy cook. Fair enough. Which is why when we whip up meals that only require one pot, like this mediterranean quinoa, Matt’s a happy camper.
This one-pot meal has it all. Healthy fats, dark leafy greens, filling fiber, plant-based protein and TONS of great flavor.
It starts by simply sautéing some garlic, shallots and red pepper flakes in a teeny bit of olive oil. Then you add in your spices, some white quinoa, some olives and some chopped sun dried tomatoes and then you just leave the whole thing to cook for about 20 minutes. When its’ done, the quinoa will be fluffy, the pot will be fragrant and you’ll just stir in your spinach and chickpeas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup sliced green olives
- ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water (or more broth)
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, shallots and pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add thyme and dill and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- To the saucepan, add quinoa, olives and sun dried tomatoes. Stir continuously for 15 – 30 seconds. Add liquids, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.
You can find complete recipes of this One-Pot Mediterranean Quinoa with Spinach + Chickpeas in simplyquinoa.com