Strawberry Rolls with cream cheese icing – perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Delicious sweet rolls with strawberry jam and fresh strawberries.
Happy weekend! I’m so happy the weekend is here, it’s been a busy week at work so today I had to unwind. I do this by baking.
I’ve been wanting to make these strawberry rolls for a while now and today was the perfect day for them. The hand model bought me these gorgeous strawberries and they’re so delicious and sweet. I for one love cinnamon rolls but the hand model has had enough of them, I admit I make them a lot. I’ve made cherry rolls before and I loved them, and I’ve made cinnabons before and a lot of other rolls you can find here on my blog. But I have to say these strawberry rolls are totally my favorite.
There’s just something about strawberries, they’re so sweet and amazing, one of my favorite berries. For the dough I used the cinnabons recipe which I cut in half here and used margarine instead of butter because so many people asked me before if it would be any different with margarine vs butter. To tell you the truth, it tastes the same to me, they’re just as flaky with margarine as with the butter. Some people might not want to use margarine for health reasons so feel free to use butter instead.
I filled these rolls with strawberry jam and about a cup of fresh strawberries which I cut into small pieces, simply because when I eat the rolls I want to bite into strawberries. After all they are the star of this recipe.
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup margarine (or butter)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- ½ cup to ¾ cup strawberry jam
For Cream Cheese Icing
- ½ cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup to 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Warm up the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add yeast to it, stir and let sit for 5 minutes until yeast dissolves.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the sugar, egg, margarine or butter, flour and pinch of salt. Mix using the paddle attachment until the dough resembles peas. Switch to the hook attachment. add the milk mixture and mix for about 3 to 5 minutes. Dough should be elastic and soft. Place the dough in a slightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size. I usually turn the oven on to 350 F for about 1 minute until it’s warm inside, turn off the oven and place the bowl with the dough in the oven and close the door. This speeds up the process and in about 45 min your dough should have doubled in size.
- Butter a 10 inch pie dish, or any baking dish you choose to use.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle that’s about 18 inches x 12 inches. Spread the strawberry jam over the dough evenly. If you use too much jelly it will come out when you slice into rolls. Evenly arrange the strawberries over the jelly.
- Start rolling the dough, starting from the far side towards you. When you reach the end make sure to pinch the sides together.
- Cut the roll into 8 equal rolls. To make this easier cut the roll in half first, then each half in half and so on, until you have 8 rolls. Use a serrated knife, I found it easier to cut the rolls.
- Place the rolls into the prepared baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Let the rolls rest and rise until doubled in size. You can use the oven trick again to speed up the process. Just make sure to turn off the oven, you only want it to warm for about a minute so that the rolls stay in a warm environment.
You can find complete recipes of this Strawberry Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing in jocooks.com