Vegan chickpea (garbanzo bean) and lemon rice is a substantial simple one-pan side dish that is fresh and bright with a little lemon zest, packed with high protein chickpeas and hearty brown rice.
You are just going to love this easy peasy little vegan chickpea (garbanzo bean) lemon rice side dish because it only takes about 30 minutes to whip up. You can use one pot, so clean up is a snap. It only has 9 ingredients and 2 of these ingredients are readily on hand water and salt and pepper. It is easy on the wallet and it uses only a handful of readily accessible pantry shelf items. Vegan chickpea lemon rice is happily gluten-free, egg free and dairy free.
When we used to live in the States we used love to visit a Greek greasy spoon called “Leo’s Cafe”. One of our favourite dishes was their lemon rice soup. It is a little too hot outside to be eating soup, at the moment, but my deconstructed vegan chickpea lemon rice is absolutely fantastic along side grilled chicken, lamb or even as a vegan main dish with a nice tossed salad.
However, I have an ever better recipe idea using my vegan chickpea lemon rice that you are going to absolutely love but you are going to have to wait until later this week to find out the recipe. Recipe coming soon to a monitor near you!
- rice – 2 cups brown rice
- water – 2 and 1/4 cups
- Vegetable powder (gluten free) – 2 teaspoons (1 cube)- or you can use chicken powder if you do not need to be vegan
- olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- garlic – 2 cloves minced (or 1 teaspoon dried ground garlic)
- salt and pepper – to taste
- lemon zest – zest of 1and 1/2 lemon (~1and 1/2 tablespoon)
- garbanzo beans (chickpeas) – 15 ounces (~425 grams)
- parsley – garnish (2 tablespoons finely chopped)- optional
- In a medium pot with a lid, add washed brown rice, water and vegetable powder. Put on lid and bring to a boil. When the brown rice starts to boil, turn down heat to a low simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice in tender and all the liquid is absorbed. (By all means you can use white rice for this recipe as well. However the ratio for white rice is 1 cup rice for 1 cup water and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed) Turn off the burner.
You can find complete recipes of this Vegan Chickpea Lemon Rice in bamskitchen.com