This recipe for vegan gluten-free Lasagna, (or is it “lasagne”? I mean, really, we need to settle this) utilizing slices of zucchini in place of pasta, was created in the heat of summer when my son would bring home bushel baskets of zucchini. It became a household favorite, offering a healthier and lighter alternative to pasta and it is a meal we enjoy hot or cold.
I use commercially prepared pasta sauce most often because of convenience. If you don’t make your own, be sure to check the ingredients to make sure you are not eating things you don’t want, like high-fructose corn syrup or too much sugar or sodium.
I also use a 1lb bag of frozen chopped spinach, thawed. Baby spinach would be a wonderful choice, but in my house that is readily consumed in salads and smoothies. I keep frozen spinach (and broccoli) on hand all the time, so I’m always confident it will be there.
- 4-5 medium zucchini squash
- 5 cups of pasta sauce
- 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella style shredded cheese (optional, or to taste)
- 2 tbs oregano, divided
- 1 recipe vegan ricotta (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine ricotta, spinach and 1 tbs oregano.
- Slice zucchini into vertical slices, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover bottom of 9×13 with 1 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Layer slices of zucchini on top of sauce.
- Cover with half of the ricotta sauce.
You can find complete recipes of this Vegan Gluten-Free Lasagna in fullofbeans.us